On days when you are feeling well rested and content, does your facial expression tell a different story? Often, the forehead is the main culprit. A lined or furrowed brow can make a serene face appear upset or concerned. Frown lines between the eyebrows can produce an angry look. A drooping brow can create a perpetually tired or sad look.
If you believe that your forehead is preventing you from looking as good as you feel, a forehead lift, also called a brow lift, may be a good option for you. A forehead lift corrects the sagging or low position of the eyebrows, softens horizontal creases across the forehead and erases the worried or angry expression that can result from frown lines. The outcome is a more released and refreshed appearance.
Forehead lifts are most commonly performed on men and women in the 40-60 year old age range. However, there is no age limit to the procedure. It can also produce good results for younger adults who have inherited stress-related conditions, such as low eyebrows or furrows about the nose.
You may be a good candidate for a forehead lift, if you have any of the following types of conditions:
- sagging or low position of the eyebrows, creating a tired or sad appearance
- deep horizontal creases across the forehead
- frown lines, or furrows, between the eyebrows and sometimes across the top of the nose
Brow lift surgery needs to be approached with extra caution if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- uncontrolled high blood pressure
- blood-clotting problems
- the tendency to form excessive scars
Dr. Yalamanchi may explain additional procedures that can be performed along with a brow lift to meet your appearance goals. For example, a brow lift is frequently combined with:
- A facelift, which removes excess skin and tightens muscles in the mid and lower face and neck
- Eyelid Surgery, can correct excessive skin that overhangs in the upper eyelids and minimize puffy bags beneath the eyes
- A forehead lift can smooth the forehead, correct the sagging of low position of the eyebrows and soften the frown lines that come with aging
- With a coronal incision, often the incision is made across the top of the scalp, beginning above the ears and concealed within the hair
- Another forehead lift technique uses an endoscope, which is inserted through several tiny incisions in the scalp
- The results of a forehead lift are a rested, more attractive look
One common method is the coronal incision technique. Using this technique, an incision is made across the top of the scalp. Beginning above the ears and concealed within the hair. Sometimes, the incision may be placed at the front of the hairline. The incision is designed to be inconspicuous when healed. Working through this incision, Dr. Yalamanchi can modify or remove parts of the muscles that cause wrinkling and frown lines, remove excess skin and lift your eyebrows to a more pleasing level.
In selected patients, instead of the coronal incision technique, a limited-incision technique can be used. One such technique uses as endoscope, a long, thin tube with a light on the end, which is attached to a video camera. The endoscope is inserted through several small incisions in the scalp and allows Dr. Yalamanchi to see and work on the internal structures of the forehead. In some cases, a combination of endoscopic and other techniques may be used.
Another limited-incision technique can be performed without an endoscope. This technique uses incisions near the temples, to lift the drooping eyebrows, and upper-eyelid incisions to treat the frown lines.
If your only concern is frown lines between the eyebrows, or cross the top of the nose, Dr. Yalamanchi may elect to use an endoscopic procedure, or to treat the frown lines using only upper-eyelid incisions – the same incisions that would be used for a blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery).
How will I look and feel right after surgery?
In the recovery area, you may find that a head dressing or headband has been placed around your forehead and scalp to minimize swelling. Sometimes, a small drainage tube is placed beneath the skin to drain away fluids that might otherwise accumulate, and increase bruising. Discomfort is usually minimal, but any pain you feel can be controlled with medication prescribed by Dr. Yalamanchi.
Although, everyone heals at a different rate, you can expect that your recovery will follow this general time line:
The first day:
- In this early stage of healing, you should rest quietly with your head elevated. One rule of thumb is to always keep your head higher than your heart
Within the first week:
- Swelling and puffiness, which may affect the eyelid and cheek areas, reaches its peak, and then begins to subside
- Bandages and drain tubes (if used) are removed and you may shower
- You may resume light activity
Within two weeks:
- Most of the bruising will disappear
- Stitches or clips will be removed
- You can wear makeup to conceal any discoloration
- You may resume many of your normal activities, including light exercise
After three weeks:
- You may resume more strenuous activity and exercise
- Swelling and puffiness will continue to subside
- Arranging for help or special care following surgery
- Numbness and itching of the scalp will diminish as the nerves continue to heal
Throughout the healing period, you should avoid exposure to direct sunlight and, for the long term, be conscientious about using sun block lotion to protect your skin
What should I know about my results?
If you’re like most people who have a forehead lift, you’ll be very pleased with your refreshed and rejuvenated appearance. Although, it may take several months to see your final results, you will probably agree that your new appearance was worth the wait.
A number of factors, including your heredity, and your lifestyle, play a role in how long the results of your forehead lift will last. Remember, even though your aging clock will be turned back several years, that clock will continue to run. However, at any point in the future, you will still look better than you would have looked, without surgery. Patients are usually very happy with their appearance for many years following a forehead lift.